Sunday, February 24, 2013

Blog post #6

The Networked Student

In Wendy Drexler's video she shows a story of a high-school student applying networked learning in this century. She rarely has a lecture, and the class only meets three times a week with two days online. The student is pretty much teaching hisself or herself the material, while the teacher is there in case they have questions that need to be answered or guidance. 

I completely agree with what she is doing. Teachers should be teaching how to use these skills in the 21st century rather than teaching the information. Students use technology each and every day and if you show them the tools to use with guidance and practice with someone from experience, this will allow them to fully understand and learn what technology can do for them and also learn the skills to get there.

I have definitely learned a lot using my blog early on in this semester already. These are skills you can use for the rest of your life because technology grows each and every day. I really would love to use these tools in my future classroom. Although, I will be teaching elementary students so I would have to change it some, but I know it would be very beneficial for them in the future. 




A 7th Grade Student's Personal Learning Environment

I thought this was an awesome idea for my PLN! I had never heard of Symbaloo until this video. I went straight away to set up one for myself. She was a very well organized 7th grader from using her Facebook, her blog and even her school note. I cannot wait to start using this!







2 comments:

  1. It is happening right now - in Baldwin County. The most advanced is Gulf Shores Elementary. You should see what Anthony Capps' third graders are doing. The students are very successful in doing a 3rd grade version of the networked studentand they love it. A new training project called the Digital Renaissance Leadership Academy started yesterday (2/25/13) in Baldwin County. All teachers will be trained to be Baldwin County's equivalent of a networked teacher. There are almost 300 in the first year long program of DRLA. In all grades. It will be exciting to watch it happen. So get ready. You will have to be a networked teacher if you want to teach in Baldwin County.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right! I think all teachers need to teach these skills for students. It is an awesome way for students to learn and use technology appropriately. It will help them a lot for their future. The thought the 7th grader was very organized as well! She had the perfect set up for her way of learning! I should probably get some tips from her for organizing my school work!

    ReplyDelete